Saturday, May 2, 2015

Springtime Bicycle Rim Wreath


Aah, springtime.  The most wonderful time of the year.  I'm always inspired to spruce things up around here or make something crafty.  This inspiration was multiplied by being 8 months pregnant and hitting nesting mode.  I made this just a week and a half before my little babe was born.  I just couldn't get the idea out of my head.




Where did I get such an idea you may ask...Many moons ago I pinned an image of an old metal bicycle rim that had been repurposed into a cute springtime wreath. (Find it by clicking here!)  I really wanted to make my own, but let's face it, I have pinned about a million ideas of things to craft, create, and repurpose that I will never actually do.

This was different. Seeing that Tim is an old bmx'er from back in the day (the early 2000s lol), it seemed that bike related things could sorta be our thing.

So, I set out to purchase a bicycle rim that looked to have some age to it, and picked this one up at Junkstock. Hooray Junkstock!





Well you know how life gets in the way of what you want to do? Well, my bicycle rim sat untouched in the garage for a long time -about a year. Until finally this spring rolled around. I wanted to spruce up our front door, and I was nesting due to the upcoming arrival of our son. Plus I already had the bicycle rim and bunches of random craft supplies to make it happen. I created a bicycle rim wreath.

Supplies I used:
Metal bicycle rim*
Burlap ribbon*
Artificial flowers (Dollar Tree)
Craft letter (Wal-Mart)
Pretty cardstock*
Twine*

Tools needed:
Hot glue gun
Scissors
Modge Podge
Small foam brush

[The asterisks indicate the supplies I had on hand. The rest I picked up on the cheap.]

Assembling the wreath was easy-peasy-mountain-breezy. Here's what I had to do:
Modge Podge the paper onto the craft letter.
Cut the stems off of the fake flowers.
Hot glue the flowers in a natural grouping along outer rim.
Tie a bow with the burlap ribbon around the outside of the rim. I failed pretty miserably at this.
Tie twine to hang the letter from center piece of the rim.
Use burlap ribbon to create a loop to hang the wreath. This I haven't done yet because I can't decide which door to hang it on.

I love this project because you can adapt it to fit your style. Switch out the burlap for a big satin ribbon bow. Use themed paper to represent a family interest or activity. Create a color scheme to match your door or overall home decor style. Use your favorite flower... Really anything goes! I bought some little wooden birdies to glue on to my wreath. They didn't end up making the final cut, but you can totally incorporate whatever you'd like to represent your family.

Here's another photo of how mine turned out  :) 
I'm thinking of adding more flowers to the upper right part...


Why not adorn your front door with a handmade, repurposed, and not to mention cute wreath? It makes a definite impression on your guests, because our front door can say a lot about your home and household. Which reminds me, I have been meaning to paint ours a less ugly color... on to the next project!

Love,
Kenz

No comments:

Post a Comment